Asbestos Safety Do’s and Don’ts
Asbestos is a dangerous material that is known to cause cancer and lung disease in people who have been exposed. That’s why we make it our mission to educate homeowners and home vendors about asbestos exposure and the precautions they can take to prevent it.
If You Suspect Your Home or Building May Have Asbestos
Here are some simple do’s and don’ts to consider if you think you might be dealing with asbestos:
- Leave it alone.
- Have a professional asbestos inspector test for asbestos before a renovation.
- Make all occupants of the building aware of the asbestos.
- Hire a professional asbestos abatement contractor to remove and safely dispose of the materials.
- Clean any tools, clothes, and shoes that may have been exposed to asbestos before continuing to use them.
- Contact an asbestos abatement professional after any fire or water damage.
- Use rough or abrasive cleaning products or tools on materials that might contain asbestos
- Disturb or remove the asbestos yourself
- Continue work in the same room once you’ve found asbestos
Remember that asbestos is only dangerous if it is disturbed or destroyed. By following these safety precautions, you can keep everyone in your home or building safe and healthy.